Countway Community Garden Ground Rules
In order for the Countway Community Garden to fulfill its mission and serve as a welcoming and safe space for all gardeners and visitors, we uphold the following Ground Rules.
- The garden is unlocked and publicly accessible between the hours of 6:00am and 8:00pm daily. The garden is only accessible to current gardeners outside these hours.
- The garden may not be used for private events of more than 20 people without prior approval. To request event approval, please submit an Event Request at least two weeks prior to the event (only Harvard ID holders may request events at this time).
- Event contacts will be responsible for any damages to the garden that occur during the event, and assume all liability associated with the event.
- We do not restrict access to gardeners, so some gardening activity may still happen during scheduled events.
- Only service animals are allowed in the garden area at this time.
- All trash MUST be removed when leaving the garden; receptacles are located on the Countway Plaza.
- With the exception of the beds labeled "Communal," please do not pick from any of the garden beds unless given explicit permission to do so.
- Food is welcome in the garden anytime; alcohol is welcome for events but only with a tips-trained bartender present for serving.
- Smoking, vaping, and illegal substances are prohibited in the garden.
- Excessive noise or disorderly conduct in and near the garden is not permitted at any time out of respect for our Longwood neighbors and patrons studying inside Countway.
- We garden organically. The use of non-organic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers is not permitted.
- Tools, supplies, or plantings from the garden may not be removed from the garden unless they belong to you. Communal tools are available in the shed but must be returned when not in use.
- The garden's composter is only for garden compost food waste can be deposited in compost bins on the Countway Plaza.
- As the raised beds in the garden dry out easily, we are always looking for volunteers to help water the beds! Please click here to sign up.
- The key to turn on the water hose is located in the tool shed. The water must always be turned off and the key returned to the shed before leaving the garden.
- There are currently 40 seats at 18 tables available throughout the garden, some of which have foldable umbrellas.
- There are 40 metal folding chairs available for use in the side walkway.
- Harvard wi-fi connectivity is available in the garden area.
- The garden has one set of four power outlets available on the Countway wall near the water hose.
- There are no restrooms in the garden; visitors with Harvard IDs are welcome to use the restrooms inside Countway during business hours.