Countway Community Garden Ground Rules
In order for the Countway Community Garden to fulfill its mission and serve as a welcoming and safe space for all gardeners and visitors, we uphold the following Ground Rules.
- The garden is unlocked and publicly accessible daily from dawn until dusk. Outside of these hours, the garden is only accessible to current gardeners.
- The garden may not be used for private events of more than 20 people without prior approval (see below).
- Only service animals and certified therapy pets are allowed in the garden area at this time.
- Only Harvard ID holders may request permission to hold events in the garden at this time.
- To request event approval, please submit an Event Request at least two weeks prior to the event.
- Food is welcome in the garden anytime.
- Alcohol is only allowed for pre-approved events, and must conform to Campus Policies including a tips-trained bartender, one-day liquor license and HUPD presence.
- Any event with over 125 attendees will require Harvard Security detail.
- Event contacts will be responsible for any damages to the garden that occur during the event, and assume all liability associated with the event.
- We do not restrict access to gardeners or visitors during events, so gardening and other activity should be expected during scheduled events.
- All trash MUST be removed when leaving the garden; additional receptacles are located on the Countway Plaza.
- Please do not pick from any of the garden beds unless given explicit permission to do so.
- Food is welcome in the garden anytime; alcohol is only allowed for pre-approved events which conform to Campus Policies (see above).
- Smoking, vaping, and illegal substances are prohibited in the garden.
- Excessive noise or disorderly conduct in and near the garden is not permitted at any time out of respect for our Longwood neighbors and patrons studying inside Countway.
- We garden organically. The use of non-organic pesticides, herbicides, or fertilizers is not permitted.
- Tools, supplies, or plantings from the garden may not be removed from the garden unless they belong to you. Communal tools are available in the shed but must be returned when not in use.
- The garden's composter is only for garden compost. Food waste can be deposited in compost bins on the Countway Plaza.
- The key to turn on the water hose is located in the tool shed. The water must always be turned off and the key returned to the shed before leaving the garden.
- There are currently 32 seats at 15 tables available throughout the garden, some of which have foldable umbrellas.
- Please familiarize yourself with the garden space prior to your event. If you need any garden beds moved for your event, please contact us for assistance; please do not move any garden beds without asking.
- Harvard wi-fi connectivity is available in the garden area.
- The garden has one set of four power outlets available on the Countway wall near the water hose.
- There are no restrooms in the garden; visitors with Harvard IDs are welcome to use the restrooms inside Countway during business hours.