The Center for the History of Medicine is a hub of activity for the history of medicine and society in Boston’s Longwood Medical Area. The Center:
- Engages with the faculty, staff, and students of the Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health, and affiliated institutions
- Advises records creators and users
- Acquires, preserves, and provides access to published and unpublished records in all formats generated by the schools, their faculties, and the disciplines in which they are active.
Through the Boston Medical Library, the Center is also connected to the broader medical community.
The Center is home to:
- Over 2,000 manuscript collections
- Over 790 records series that document Harvard activities
- Over 1,256 gigabytes of migrated born digital records
- Over 177,000 rare books
- Over 676 rare journals
- Over 15,768 Warren Anatomical Museum objects (including artifacts, anatomical, osteological and fluid preparations)