Countway Library's primary purpose is to support the teaching, research, and scholarly activities of Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Access to some resources and services is reserved for these communities.
General Access Policies
- Current Harvard ID holders are allowed into the library during open building hours.
- Visitors and non-Harvard ID holders are allowed into the building on Saturdays 10:00am-4:00pm only. Please see Saturday visitor access policies below.
- Current Harvard ID holders have priority access to physical, electronic, and staff resources.
- At this time Library borrowers, including Alumni, only have access to the Countway Library building on Saturdays. Other Harvard Libraries may be admitting Library borrowers into their spaces. Contact the individual libraries to confirm their local admittance policy before visiting.
- All users must abide by the Library use policy.
- For all other access-related questions, please visit the Ask Countway page.
Saturday Visitor Access Policies
- Visitors with government issued IDs or Harvard issued Special Borrowers Cards are welcome to access Countway Library 10:00am-4:00pm on Saturdays only.
- Non-Harvard ID holders will be directed to the Security Desk to obtain a temporary Harvard Visitor Pass.
- Government issued photo IDs are the only accepted form of identification.
- No work/school ID will be accepted.
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- The visitor pass will collect the individual’s first and last name only.
- Security Guard will instruct visitors where they are allowed within the building
- Individuals opting to use guided tour materials will be asked to return these materials at the end of their visit.
- The Center for the History of Medicine Gallery on the fifth floor is open to the public 10:00am - 4:00pm on Saturdays with a Harvard Visitor Pass.
- Harvard ID holders can visit the Gallery during normal building hours.
- Saturday Gallery tours will be self-directed.
- There is no gallery admission fee.