To schedule a research appointment, please contact the Center via email: firstname.lastname@example.org. As many of our collections are stored offsite, making an appointment in advance is strongly encouraged.
For specific questions about using the collections, please contact the following Center departments:
- Center Public Services Desk: 617.432.2170
- Warren Anatomical Museum: 617.432.6196
- Brigham and Women's Hospital Archives: 617.432.6196
- The Center is on L2 of the Countway Library building, 10 Shattuck Street, Boston. Directions are available online.
- Registration is required. Visitors must register at the Reference Desk with a valid ID or register in advance. Please see Patron Registration for information.
- Some collections have restrictions on use. Please see Access Restrictions for more information.
Reading Room Rules
The Center's Reading Room is the only place in the Countway Library where researchers can use the Center's collections. The following rules apply:
- You cannot eat or drink in the reading room.
- You can only bring notebooks, laptops, and pencils into the reading room.
- You must use our secure lockers for coats, briefcases, handbags, and all other personal property.
- Requests from the stacks aren't accepted after 4:30 pm.
- Materials from the Center's collections aren't allowed to leave the reading room. If you expect a multi-day visit, please let us know so we can keep the materials on-site.
- Keep materials in the order you receive them.
- Do not erase, write-on, or otherwise mark materials. This includes tracings or rubbings.
- If a book's pages are stuck together or uncut, do not attempt to open them. Please see the Reference Librarian.
- Return all materials and stop working at 4:45 pm.
- You're allowed to use digital cameras in the reading room, but we have an agreement form that you need to sign first.
- Please see the Reference Librarian for photo-duplication options or read our Photography and Reproductions policy
Handle all materials with great care.
- Do not place anything on top of a book or manuscript. If pages don't lie flat we will provide you with book weights.
- We may ask you to wear gloves when using certain materials. We will let you know.
- Please make sure materials are either lying flat on the table or in book cradles.
- Materials shouldn't rest on table edges or in your lap.