There are many ways you can find Center for the History of Medicine resources.
Harvard's online library catalog: Hollis
You can search for rare books, manuscripts, journals, theses, and institutional records of the Harvard Medical School, Harvard School of Dental Medicine, and Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
While a majority of the Center's collections have catalog records, records for individual Warren Anatomical Museum objects are not in Hollis. Some pre-1901 collections are only in card catalogs in the Center's reading room.
➢ Quick tips for searching Hollis
Finding aids search system: Hollis for Archival Discovery
A finding aid is a descriptive guide to an archival or manuscript collection that helps users understand, contextualize, and access the contents of the collection. Hollis for Archival Discovery allows you to search and browse across finding aids from all Harvard repositories; though you can also limit your search results to Center holdings by picking "Countway Library of Medicine" from the list of repositories. Recent (post-2017) items from the Warren Anatomical Museum are also described here.
Complete list of finding aids for Center collections: Finding Aids LibGuide
Besides searching and browsing finding aids in Hollis for Archival Discovery, here you can view a quick-list of all Center finding aids.
- The Harvard Medical Library Art and Artifact Collection
- Warren Anatomical Museum collection
- Explore the Warren Anatomical Museum collection's Research Guide
- Read the finding aid to WAM's administrative, curatorial, teaching, and research activities records created between 1835 and 2010
- Search the Warren Anatomical Museum artifact collection in Hollis for Archival Discovery
- Browse WAM objects in OnView, our digital collections site
- Submit a reference request
You can search the Center's digitized and born digital resources through several channels:
- OnView, the Center's primary portal to digitized content and exhibits
- Medical Heritage Library, online access to thousands of rare books, journals, pamphlets, and other items digitized as part of the Medical Heritage Library, Inc.'s consortium
- Hollis Images, a selection of digitized photographs, lantern slides, satires, and other visual materials that are part of Harvard's Digital Repository Service
- Dataverse: Research data available from Center collections
- Archive-It, online access to websites archived by the Center
- DASH, the depository for Harvard's electronic theses, dissertations, and academic publications
Digitized content available online represents only a fraction of our holdings. If you don't find what you are looking for, please contact us.