The Center for the History of Medicine offers researchers many funded opportunities to offset the costs of research.
New England Regional Fellowship Consortium
Since 2001, the Center for the History of Medicine has been a participating member of the New England Regional Fellowship Consortium (NERFC). Information about the Consortium fellowship is on the NERFC website. NERFC awards money to researchers who want to use Center resources and those of numerous other New England repositories.
Boston Medical Library Fellowships
Since 2003, the Center for the History of Medicine has offered research fellowships of up to $5000 to support research in the history of medicine. The Boston Medical Library in the Francis A. Countway Library of Medicine sponsors these annual fellowships. The submission period is now closed. Awards will be announced March 30, 2020.
2019-2020 Boston Medical Library Fellows:
- Sydney Green, Yale University, At the forefront: Domestic Violence Response Teams
- Danielle Abdon Guimaraes, Temple University, Poverty, Disease, and Port Cities: Global Exchanges in Hospital Architecture during the Age of Exploration
- Lina-Marie Murillo, University of Iowa, Men of the Movement: Contraception and Overpopulation Campaigns in the U.S.-Mexico Borderlands
- Tanya Sheehan, Cobly College, Medicine, Modernism, and African American Art
The Center maintains a list of former Countway Fellows. Please contact us for more information.
Women in Medicine Legacy Foundation Fellowships
Since 2008, the Center for the History of Medicine, through its Archives for Diversity and Inclusion (formerly the Archives for Women in Medicine), has partnered with the Women in Medicine Legacy Foundation to offer an annual fellowship to support scholarship on the role of women in medicine and the biomedical sciences. The fellowship is open to all, but must include using collections held by the Center for the History of Medicine.
2019-2020 Women in Medicine Legacy Foundation Fellow
- Heather Prescott, Ph.D., Central Connecticut State University, Planned Parenthood in America: A Cultural History
Download a list of former Legacy Foundation fellows.